Areas of Practice:
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury and Insurance Disputes
- Stetson University College of Law, Juris Doctor
- University of Pittsburgh, Bachelor of Science
- Florida – all courts
- United States District Court – Middle District of Florida
- Over 40 years representing businesses against insurance companies for denying coverage and other insurance disputes
- Over 40 years representing individuals and families injured in auto, motorcycle and other types of accidents, and individuals against insurance companies for wrongful denial of benefits, including uninsured/underinsured motorist benefit claims, property damage and homeowner’s claims
Professional and Civic Activities
- Menorah Manor, Chairman of Board of Trustees, present
- Menorah Manor, Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, 2012-2014
- Menorah Manor, Environment Committee, Chair, 2012-present
- Menorah Manor, Trustee, 2008-present
- St. Petersburg Bar Association, present
Mr. Kanner grew up in Vineland N.J. and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 1971 with a B.S. Degree in Psychology. He obtained his legal education at Stetson University College of Law and earned his J.D. degree in 1974, the same year that Mr. Kanner became a member of the Florida Bar. In 1978, Barry Kanner was appointed to serve on the Nursing Home Ombudsmen Committee of the Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services by the Honorable Reubin Askew, who was the Governor of Florida at the time.
Soon after Mr. Kanner started his legal career as an insurance company defense lawyer, he realized that representing individuals, families and businesses other than insurance companies, was far more satisfying and became a plaintiffs’ attorney. Since then, he has concentrated on representing individuals and families injured in auto, motorcycle and other types of accidents. He also represents businesses and individuals against insurance companies for wrongfully denying claims or coverage.
Mr. Kanner also has a background in business as he was President, CEO and General Manager of a local beverage distribution company, where he became familiar with Florida Alcoholic Beverage Rules and Regulations. He also successfully started a beverage marketing and brokerage company that did business in five southeastern states, which he owned and operated for many years. Currently, he devotes his professional life to the practice of law and is proud to be associated with the Englander Fischer family.
Mr. Kanner has been married to his lovely wife Jackie for more than 40 years. They have three adult sons, who were all born in St. Petersburg. Mr. Kanner enjoys riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycles, swimming, traveling and reading. He is honored to serve as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Menorah Manor, a senior care facility.
AV® Preeminent ™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.