Aux Menu
  • 721 First Ave N. St. Petersburg, FL 33701
  • 727-898-7210 Fax 727-898-7218
  • Careers
Mobile Menu

Naming a Health Care Surrogate For Your Child in Florida

Naming a Health Care Surrogate For Your Child in Florida

Health Care Surrogate photo

Designation of Health Care Surrogate for Minors

When you have children, your child’s well being is the most important thing in the world. Never would you want your child to receive inadequate or incorrect health care because of your own absence. This is why many parents have powers of attorney prepared before taking a trip and leaving their young ones in the care of a grandparent or other trusted person. While the power of attorney gives you peace of mind that a responsible adult can make important decisions for your child while you are away, a new Florida Statute (765.2035) introduces a more withstanding document to be used in conjunction with a power of attorney.

The statute allows parents, custodians or guardians to designate someone to act as their minor child or children’s health care surrogate in the event the parents, custodians or guardians are not available. Although the power of attorney is still a good idea, as it covers issues beyond health care, like approving class trips, registering children in an activity and dealing with government regulated matters, designating a health care surrogate has the advantage of being long-term. While a power of attorney lasts only for a designated time, i.e. the duration of a weeklong vacation, the health care surrogate can stay in effect throughout a child’s minority.

How an Attorney Can Help 

Englander Fischer’s attorneys know how important it is for you to feel your children are safe, especially when you cannot be there to protect them. Most of us are parents ourselves, and some of us even have the privilege of being grandparents. We commonly prepare powers of attorney for parents who are about leave for a vacation, and we would be honored to assist you with this matter as well.

When filling out a health care surrogate for minors form, which can be found below, a legal professional can help make sure everything is done in a correct and legally effective manner. For more information, call Englander Fischer at 727-898-7210 or contact us online.


(Click link to view and print the form)

This publication is for general information only. It is not legal advice. Legal counsel should be contacted before any action is taken that might be influenced by this publication.

Meet the Firm Meet the Firm
Our team delivers aggressive, levelheaded advocacy with a commonsense approach to business and economic realities.
Join Our Team Join Our Team
We utilize a multi-disciplinary team philosophy with attorneys of varying specialties and points of view.
Meet with Us Meet with Us
Arrange a meeting to tell us your story. We are here to listen and help be your strategic business advocate and partner.
Get In Touch

Florida Legal Elite 2018

Lawyers of Distinction 2018

The Florida Bar

Super Lawyers

Peer Review Rated

Best Law Firms 2020